Saturday, September 08, 2012

The weight of it all

Back in April, one of the things I decided to do in the healing process was to take better care of my body. To not take my health for granted and to celebrate aging.

Because, you know, some people don't get to. Age, that is.

I stopped dying my hair so that I could watch the grey come in, and I actually kind of like it. It's interesting. I started getting waxed regularly, which is another story for another day. And towards the end of April, I joined Weight Watchers.

There has never been a time in my life where I needed to lose enough weight to do something like join Weight Watchers. That was part of the reason it took me so long. I didn't want to admit that I needed to do something I considered drastic.

I set a goal of 35 pounds by September 9, 2012. That's tomorrow. And unless I lose seven pounds in my sleep tonight, I didn't quite make my goal. However, I'm pretty happy with the 28 that are already gone. I even bought a two piece to take on our trip. I'm not going to look 18 again in it, but that's not the point.

The point is, I'm going to look like a 39 year old mother of two and look extremely happy in it. And I'll be praying that my boobs don't fall out of it in the pool. Because let's just get it out there that the girls haven't joined in the dieting quite as much as I had hoped they would.

Yesterday, I had to weigh my English Setter, Aja, to get a prescription filled for her. I stepped on the scale without her and then stepped on again with her. As I put her down, I realized that I was putting down all of the weight I have lost since having Colin in 2010. Losing it gradually kept me from appreciating just how much better I feel. Picking up Aja and getting to set her back down again made the weight loss pretty tangible in an instant.

The best part of finally joining Weight Watchers isn't actually the weight loss. It's that I finally feel like I've learned to eat right. I've cut out at least 80% of the sugar I used to eat, and I feel so much better. I've added back more fruit and vegetables than I've ever eaten, and cut out the carb laden snacks and dinners. I've learned to make decisions about what I eat - that everything I put in my mouth is a choice. A choice that will be in line with my desired lifestyle or out of line with it.

The past few months have been about laying down the weight I've been carrying and making decisions that are beneficial to the life I want to have. That is, of course, only a little bit about dieting, and a lot about moving forward. But I probably didn't have to tell you that, did I?

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations, and well done! Taking control, feeling happy with what you have achieved - that is all applicable to so much more than weight, and is so admirable. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Even if you didn't reach your goal,you've still done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. I did WW last fall and think it's a great program. Kudos on your success. It's hard to welcome every wrinkle, but yes we are lucky to be here, thinning or greying hair, saggy everything and all. Have a wonderful vacation. So what if you have a wardrobe malfunction in the pool? It will provide laughs for years to come.

    Glad I clicked :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you. I...I should do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's a really amazing accomplishment. I'm still working on losing the weight that Lucy plus several months of "eating my feelings" put on me. It's a hard, slow process. Congratulations for getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:57 PM

    I'm so happy for you!

    I've lost some weight myself, recently, in the time-honored "hard and slow" method. In the past, I'd have waited until I reached some perfect goal weight before buying new clothes, but even though I'm not there, yet, I went for it. That might not sound like much, but it's not easy for me to ignore that "should" feeling.

    It's amazing that you're moving forward, feeling lighter-- in a bikini, no less. I hear you talking about DESIRE; not what you should want, but what you truly want. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! That's incredible news-- congratulations!

    I'm a member of WW, myself... it has helped me so much since the birth of my kids. Once the point values get stuck in your head, you can't put anything in your mouth without thought. Which is good... and bad (the carrot cake I baked this aft has 16 pts per slice-- AAAAUUUGH!!!)

    Best tip I got: don't be tempted to finish what is left on your kids' plates!! I'm of the "waste not, want not" generation, and it's sorely tempting. Instead, I now try to accept the fact that teaching my kids to stop eating when they're no longer hungry is HEALTHY.

    I'm so proud of you, Marty! xo CGF

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look awesome, too :) I need you to teach me some of the meal planning tips -- to be healthier about what I serve for meals and what I eat (or shouldn't eat) in between.

    You rock that bikini on vacation, my friend. You've earned it -- and your husband will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your weight loss- that's really awesome! And woohoo for a bikini-- like Cyndi said, you'll rock it AND you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:04 AM

    Hеllo, і read уour blog ocсasіonаlly and i own a similaг one anԁ i was just cuгiouѕ if you get
    а lot of ѕpam feеdback? If so hοω do yοu гeԁuce іt,
    anу plugin οг anything yоu can suggest?
    I get so much lаtеly it's driving me insane so any support is very much appreciated.
    Have a look at my page : woodworkingadvice.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:43 PM

    Еxcellent site. Lotѕ of hеlpful info here.
    I am sending іt to a few pals ans adԁitionally
    ѕharing in delicious. Anԁ cеrtаinly, thanks іn your ѕweаt!
    Here is my web site :: extramoneyinfo.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:27 AM

    Write mοre, thatѕ all I have to say. Literallу, іt ѕeemѕ as thοugh
    yοu relіed on thе vіdeо to
    make youг poіnt. You defіnitely knoω what youre talking about, ωhy throω awaу уour
    іntelligence on јust poѕting viԁeoѕ tо уouг ѕite ωhеn you could be gіvіng us ѕomеthіng enlightеnіng to
    reаd?
    Feel free to surf my weblog : Dating

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:30 PM

    Thanks for another informative ωebsіtе.

    The place else may ϳust I am gеttіng that tуpe of information writtеn in ѕuch a
    pеrfect meаns? I've a project that I'm
    just now worκing on, and I have been аt the look out
    fоr suсh info.
    Look into my blog post :: CNA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous8:21 AM

    That is rеally faѕcinating, Yοu're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and sit up for in the hunt for extra of your wonderful post. Also, I've shareԁ
    your site in my social nеtworks
    Feel free to visit my blog post :: Public Auction Page

    ReplyDelete