Saturday, December 01, 2007

A very good day

Guy and I are blogging on the end of our date tonight. Sweet, but strange. Dueling laptops, sitting side by side on our skyscraper bed. We both hate it when we look over each other's shoulders, and neither one of us can keep from doing it. (Hi, you. Look away now.)

We had another childbirth class today. I am really enjoying them, and Guy is being a trooper. It is helpful though, because even though he has been through this before, it's nowhere near the same. I feel like this is helping to center us, and not just have it be him with experience. Although, I am really glad that he has experience. Especially on the bringing home the baby who will be completely and totally dependent on us for everything in order to survive.

No pressure there.

After the class, we were both starving, so we went to eat at a Greek restaurant. On the way home, I asked if we could go by a high school bazaar. A "shopping spree" weekend. He asked why and what was there, and I said that I didn't know. I had just seen a sign for it on the way to lunch, and I was curious.

This is one of the things I love about him. He just said, "Sure." And we went. Exploring something new. Being spontaneous. It's just about being together, really.

The bazaar was great, as it turns out. We found Christmas presents for some of the harder to shop for people on the list, and even found something for Momma. I had already bought her something, but this is better.

We ran into one of Guy's old friends there, and it was fun meeting him and his daughter. I didn't ever know Guy when he was playing out regularly in country bands. Which was probably good. Because I would have been jail bait.

Even with all the stuff going on today, Guy still managed to put down a new door jam for the front door, finish the room transitions, and cut and nail all of the baseboards for the rest of the downstairs. He amazes me.

While he was being Mr. Handyman, I was practicing for a wallpaper gig for tomorrow night. I love Christmas party gigs. There is nothing better than to be paid to get dressed up and play Christmas music for an hour or two. Unfortunately, while I was practicing, the phone rang, and my gig was canceled without explanation.

I had bought a new dress and everything, so instead of letting me pout, Guy told me to put on my new dress. We were going out.

We headed to an open house that we had received an invitation to, but I had lost before adding it to the calendar. It's no surprise where this is going. We get to the house, it's dark, there are no cars there, and I realize that the open house is next weekend. Oops. Of course it is. This man, this artist, always has his open house the first full weekend of December. Friday was still November, and I should have known better.

After a good laugh at my expense, we head off to dinner. Guy has decided to surprise me. As we drive down Glenwood past several wonderful restaurants, it becomes apparent that we are headed downtown. Turning onto Davie, I figure out that we are going to Nana's Chophouse. We love Nana's. We arrive at Nana's. Nana's is no longer Nana's. The fabulous steakhouse has been turned into some kind of bizarre upscale BBQ restaurant.

Not interested in that, we head back to South. A standby for us. The food is always good, the menu changes often, and the service is usually great. Tonight was no different. We had a wonderful meal, of which I will spare you the details.

As we sat, all dressed up, it occurred to us that this was probably one of the last days we would have like this for a long time. Adding this baby to our family will put the kabosh on the spontaneous. Nix the long dinners out for awhile. Turn the gazing into each other's eyes into glancing.

So we sat just a little bit longer and stared just a little bit deeper. And had dessert.

This morning, as we lay in the bed - getting my morning shamoops - Guy said that he was looking forward to watching me become a mom. He couldn't wait to see me chasing our little boy through the house. He said that he loved me like I am now, but that he was excited to watch me become a mother.

I think that is one of the nicest things he has said to me. Of course, everything sounds sweeter when I'm laying on his chest getting my head rubbed.

What a huge lot of words to say this one thing:

It was a very good day with my husband. My deepest and strongest love. A very good day. I am a lucky woman.