Monday, October 29, 2007

Alone again, for now

The house is quiet. Momma and Daddy left this morning. Lovely is at school and then goes to her mother's house for a couple of days. Guy is at work. Always at work. It's just me and the pups for now.

Daddy did very well here, I thought. The stairs are problematic, but we couldn't do anything about that. He was up and down during the night and got off of his medicine schedule one day, but these are things that happen at home too. Overall, I thought the visit went well, and I don't think it will be as much work as was anticipated if they come for Bird's arrival in January.

Daddy is used to doing things and being the boss man. It is difficult to keep your patience with him now that he needs constant help, but then tells you how to do what he needs help with. Either that, or he wants you to help him right that second, even if you are already doing something else for him. I know it must be one of the many things that frustrates Momma, and with good reason. I just hope she doesn't feel guilty for being frustrated or out of patience sometimes.

Taking them to the 3D ultrasound was my favorite part of the week. They were really excited to get to see Bird, and the tech even printed some extra pictures for them to take back. It was incredibly cool to get to share that with them.

And the trip was happy. Even with Momma's scans looming in the near future and the reality of more chemo getting closer by the day, it was a happy trip. Of course, we are comparing that to our last two visits, one of which I lost a baby, and the other of which she was in the ICU on a ventilator. Not exactly tough competition for this trip. But we were happy. Or at least, I was. I know Momma's worried that she may not get to see Little Bird other than in those pictures, but I just don't believe that. I think she will team up with chemo again and push the cancer back at least once more.

If it's even there. We don't even know if it's there yet.

Last night, the five of us played a domino game that Daddy had been wanting to teach Lovely all week. The strange thing was, he couldn't remember how to play it. Every time we got to his turn, we had to explain the rules again. He tried to quit because he was holding us up, he said, but nobody minded. So he stayed, and he played. And even with the bizarre fact that he had to be retaught how to play with every round, there was so much of his old self there. He joked around and even broke out into the same random song that Guy did at one point. We all laughed. A lot. And it was good.

But now it is quiet. And I'm facing the third trimester.

This baby is going to be here before we know it.

I hope we are ready.

16 comments:

  1. You are ready, and you are going to be a wonderful mother. :)
    That breaks my heart about your parents. They seem like such wonderful, caring, loving people. I hope they are around for a long, long time, and get to see your and Hubby's kids grow a little older.

    As much as you love company, isn't it nice to have the house nice and quiet once again?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, heartbreaking about your parents.

    It's nice though that they got to go to the u/s - I rather wanted my mom to come to one, but we just couldn't make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SO ready!! You're ready because it's who you are, and you are a FANTASTIC mama!!

    I loved hearing about your Dad and how much fun he had playing the game. What a blessing.

    And I know 100% that your Mom will be around to see Little Bird, I'm accepting nothing else!

    Miss you and can't wait to "meet" the babe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm glad it went well.

    Momma will be there. She will. I know it.

    How incredible that they got to be there for the ultrasound. Very cool.

    Get your rest chica. That babe-o-lah will be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The funny thing about babies is they show up when they are ready...and you just adjust! You will be surprised how ready to are, even if there are a few things left undone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're ready. You were ready a long, long time ago.

    Your visit sounds lovely, and I'm so happy that you had this time with them. You will always, always treasure this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to be a fantastic mother, Canape... You already are to Lovely. I just can't wait to see that Little Bird in "person", his ultrasound shots were so gorgeous.

    Your parents actually sound much better than I thought they would be, after everything you've told us about them. I understand about your dad's "deterioration"... my own f-i-l went through Altzheimer's disease when I was expecting my first child. But, he lived to see his first granddaughter, and really KNEW her for several more years, which was incredible.

    I'm certain that your momma and daddy are going to be there with you when Bird is born. They wouldn't miss it for the wide world. And it's going to be the most incredible experience in ALL of your lives!

    xo CGF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh darling, you couldn't be readier.

    And your momma will see your little bird. I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that you had a nice visit with them. And that you learned a little more about what to expect with they are visiting when Little Bird comes. The image of your Daddy playing the game, busting out in random song, having to be reminded of the rules each turn... This made me laugh and tear up simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hearing you talk about your parents. Kinda reminds me of visiting and playing with my Grands.

    When the time comes, you are going to be an awesome Momma, you will be ready and we will be here to cheer you all on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are ready. You are ALREADY Little Bird's mama. You are.

    And I think you know it, too. :-)

    Love to Momma and G-Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw sweetie...you'll never feel ready for Little Bird's Arrival...the story of life, really...

    I'm so so happy for you. You had a great visit with your parents and you seem content.

    That truly fills my heart.

    I hope your mamma's scans turn out wonderful and I think about your daddy every day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad to hear things went well with your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great visit!

    Let me tell you, you can only be so ready for a baby. So relax...don't worry too much about being "ready" because it can only go so far. Then you'll be in for the wildest...and bestest!...ride of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are gonna be a great mommy to Bird! You do a great job with Lovely already! :)

    Your parents sound amazing and its sad to know what they're going through. :(

    YAY for a quiet house.. at least for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are at the point, with my Dad that we have to remind him who people are. Not key people but like parents of other kids on my son's ball team. It's sad and he doesn't understand why we're surprised when he doesn't remember who these people are. He tells random stories that aren't related to the topic of discussion in a group and has completely given up on his quest to learn how to use a computer. So, so sad really. We're all practicing how to not seem surprised anymore.
    I will pray that your Mom lives a long and fulfilling life loving on her grandchildren as the grow.

    ReplyDelete