Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thinking twice about Johnson & Johnson

Late to the game again. I stay about a day or two behind in blogland these days. But if you haven't heard, Johnson & Johnson is holding a little getaway called "Camp Baby" for the influential mommybloggers. People you read probably got invited and will have a lovely time at some sessions on how to braid hair and parallel park their minivans. Whatever.

Aside from the carcinogens that Johnson & Johnson likes to use in their products, I now have another reason to hate them.

Julie, over at Mothergoosemouse, was dis-invited from this little soire once they found out she was planning to bring her baby. To Camp Baby. Go figure.

Oliver was born just a few days before Christopher and is breastfed.

So no Camp Baby for Julie.

I do not understand though, all of the remaining willing participants. Sitting around and writing about how uncool it is that they dis-invited a nursing mom from Camp Baby is one thing. Everyone still showing up and having a lovely time at hair braiding and minivan parking? That shows them nothing. That shows them that they can totally get away with this.

We are so quick to boycott Myspace and Facebook when they censor pictures of breastfeeding mothers. What about now?

Julie is very polite and states that she understands that J&J is hosting and setting the rules, so she will play by them. Well, the same thing can be said of Facebook. It's their website, so play by their rules and don't post breastfeeding pictures.

I really hope that at least a few of Julie's friends and moms who care about breastfeeding reconsider Camp Baby. And while you're at it, be sure to read some of the ingredients of the J&J stuff you might be slathering all over your baby. J&J and their products are all full of crap.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canape, thank you. But I honestly want my blogfriends to attend and have a great time.

    First, they deserve it (and I wish more of them could be invited). But also, I'm willing to give Lori - J&J communications - a second chance. She really seems to care about rectifying the situation and has taken full responsibility for this situation.

    Now Facebook, on the other hand, is led by an arrogant, immature, unresponsive CEO who has demonstrated little to no interest in taking responsibility for his mistakes. I'm not missing my Facebook account one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you, Canape!!

    It will be interesting to see what kind of blog posts come out of those attending the event. I think you would feel obliged to say nice things about them after going on an all expenses paid trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first I've heard about the whole thing... I think I've been really out of touch lately :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going, and am looking forward to the retreat - That is what it is, after all. I have a 7 1/2 month old (as well as five older kiddos) who I will be leaving with my very willing husband. I will also be pumping the entire time I am gone, as Baby Noah only drinks breastmilk. J & J have made it clear that we are not at all required to blog about the event. I'm sure they do know however, especially now, that "mommy bloggers" TALK... Look at all of the exposure they are already getting!! (Yes, even from YOU!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of these companies are having a difficult time figuring out how to approach mommybloggers--that's for sure.

    In the meantime, I'm more concerned about the fact that I didn't know about the carcinogens. Going to read now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Canape, Thanks for saying exactly what I was thinking. I don't use J&J products on the kids because of the contents and I tend not to go anywhere my kids are not welcome. We once did not attend a good friend's wedding because I was nursing and the baby was not invited. While I don't think folks should necessarily boycott the event, I do think J&J may want to figure out better ways to handle future events. After all, not planning on nursing moms? That was a silly mistake turned into a PR nightmare. It simply makes them look BAD.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What the heck, I HAVE been slathering these products all over my daughter! Did everyone know about this but me?! What are all of you other mothers using for baby soap and lotion? What is safe?!
    HELP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting. Was not aware of all that.. and that does strike me as odd that they would not want a mommy to bring their baby. Interesting to see what happens from here.

    ReplyDelete