Saturday, November 03, 2007

Floored

I am hoping that what I was not able to express with my face and mouth today will come through with my fingers.

There is a group of women who are my friends. From California to Colorado to Chicago. From Texas to South Carolina to West Virginia to D.C and more. We share a common ground. We share support, stories, and pictures. Who am I kidding? We share just about everything.

I spend a little time with them almost everyday. The days I don't get to check in on them, I find that I think about them and wonder how they are. What their little ones are doing. How their house or job hunting is going. If that cold has moved on. If that baby has come yet.

There is a certain part of a friendship that you miss out on when you are long distance. I don't think though, that it means it is any less of a friendship. I don't usually distinguish in conversation between my "in real life" friends and my "long distance" friends anymore. Friendship is based in communication, and that is what this group of women does. We communicate.

Today, two of these friends were in my neck of the woods. LA had a birthday this week and was coming to celebrate with her brother who lives just a few miles from me. Jenn was just passing through and made it work so that we could all have lunch and celebrate LA's birthday together.

So I thought.

After a yummy lunch at a local pharmacy with a cute cafe attached to it, we went back to LA's brother's home for some cake. Cake for a birthday is perfectly logical. Behind me, Jenn is bringing out gift bags. Obviously, our friends had gotten together to give LA some birthday partying even across the miles.

So I thought.

Some times, I'm slow.

They were baby gift bags. And they were for Bird. And me. And Guy.

And this was a shower. A baby shower that my friends put together across the entire country and attended by two of the closest ones. I couldn't speak. Well, beyond asking for a tissue, I couldn't speak.

The gifts were amazing. There were things from our registry, things that they had picked out just for Bird, and things that they had made.

There were three group projects. A bag full of onesies that each of them had decorated with either bird themes or music themes. A quilt with squares from each of the seamstresses, and quilted out in California before making its way back here. And a scrapbook that only requires I add photos. They know me well, and know of my complete lack of scrapbooking skills (by the way, Kimmie, Lovely totally designed your page for Bubbles).

And even though it was only the three of us there "in real life," I haven't felt so surrounded by love and support in a very long time. Maybe ever.

That they would go to such lengths to help me celebrate this new little life?

I can only say that I am completely floored.

Humbled.

And more grateful than I can find the words to say.

26 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I had to edit my comment. Don't try to talk to your hubby about finances while typing a comment on a blog, all while wondering if you are finally going in labor. Here we go again...


    Hooray! We pulled it off! I had so much fun sneaking around behind your back. :D You are loved bunches, Canape. You, that hubby, and those beautiful kids. You mean so much to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canape, I was SO honoured and pleased to be invited to join in this secret project with all of your friends... You are SO lucky to be surrounded by such a tremendous (and organized!!) group of women.

    It has been so exciting to "watch" all of this unfold... I'm just so thrilled that it went off without a hitch!!

    Blessings to you, Guy, Lovely and Baby Bird. We all love you so much, and wish you every happiness in the world.

    xo CGF

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a WONDERFUL surprise and such wonderful friends! Congrats!! You and Bird and Guy are so very loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is giving me little chills of happiness, Canape...the kindness of people, and the realness of friendship whether online or face to face...i am so pleased you & Guy & Little Bird got showered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet - lovely post. Nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Canape, I cannot tell you how much fun we had putting it all together! I'm so happy that it went well, and I only wish we could have all been there in person. You are loved, my dear! You, and Guy, and that sweet baby Bird!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so so glad you liked it! I really wish we all could have been there, but Jenn and LA gave us the next best things with their pictures. I'm so happy that you are so happy! You are such a sweet and wonderful person and you deserve all the happiness in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy that this happened for you!

    Love you --

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! It happened already? I am such a slack...but holy cow!
    When I first knew this was all going down, I cried just thinking of the love surrounding you and Guy and Bird and Lovely. I was so honored to be invited (evidently, so honored that I dropped the ball. Completely. Sorry.)
    That we live in a world where this can happen for someone so wonderful and special and beautiful as you...
    I'm thrilled that this was pulled off with such aplomb! And I cannot wait to see the goods!
    You are so loved, Canape. You rub that baby belly for me, please.
    Happy surprise baby shower day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is totally nice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are WONDERFUL! Of course we would celebrate you and Bird and Guy!! :) Im so glad you were surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenn- NMD12:44 PM

    It was a thrill to be a part of this from start to finish. I only wish one of us had won the lottery so we could get plane tickets for those at a distance.

    Your post made me tear up...so pass that box of tissues my way.

    You are such a lovely person. IRL a total knock-out! :) You, Guy, Lovey and Bird totaly deserved it!

    We need to get together soon...I owe you lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Because you so deserve it...

    This rocks.

    Yay for friends.!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cried when I read this last night, so I had to wait to post.

    You have no idea how much of a pleasure it was to play a role in doing this for you.

    And I'm kind of teary again, so I'll just leave it at this--you're wonderful and you deserve every bit of it and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh shoot! I am so lame! I have my page for your scrapbook and didn't get it in the mail to LA in time. I've been a bit crazy with baby. I'm so so happy you were happy. These wonderful women that asked me to join (sorry I let you down ladies)made me sortof feel humbled and floored when they too, when they asked me to join.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful.

    Congratulations. I'm so glad to hear the Little Bird and you are in such wonderful hands.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That gave me happy goosebumps. That totally rocks. I am so glad they did that!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I only wish that I could have done more. You, Guy, Lovely and Bird are so loved by so many.

    You tell that lovely Lovely that I LOVE the page (you tell you that too).

    I believe pictures of said book are required... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have goose bumps. That is so sweet. Great girlfriends are such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We love you and that little Bird growing inside of you. I was honored to be a part of it.

    Of course, I screwed up my onesie so I just had to send regular gifts. But I tried! It was a really cute "Here comes treble" shirt. Oh well. Just imagine it in your head.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish I could have done more....

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed scrolling through your blog today. Thanks for the entertaining trip through your mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so great. What a fun and loving thing to do for you. I agree about what you said about defining friendship differently these days and it being all about communication.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohmygosh, that is the best story! I am so thrilled for you!

    You are blessed to have such great friends.

    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was thrilled to be a part of it! We totally heart you and wanted you to know it. XOXO

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete