Saturday, February 10, 2007

Dear FutureMe

This morning I received an email from me. One that I wrote one year ago today. It was delivered by FutureMe, and I had totally forgotten about sending it to myself. One year ago today.

Here is what it said (with only the names changed, well the ones who care anyway):


(The following is an e-mail from the past, composed on Friday, February 10, 2006, and sent via FutureMe.org)

Dear FutureMe,

Today you are sitting on the brink of divorce. Next Tuesday will be one year of separation, so the filing can occur. You spent the past year blowing up your life and putting it back together again.

Today, you are on the outs with Jenny, ins with all your other friends. Whymommy has invited you for a visit with Guy, did you go?

Today, you are in love. You have met the person you think is your soulmate. Guy has melted into your life like the piece that has been missing all along.

By the time you are reading this, I expect for you to:
1. Be married again
2. Be pregnant
3. Be living in Guy's house
4. Be happier than you could ever had imagined.

Please tell me I did a good job in getting you there. I'm trying really hard to make you happy.

Sincerely,
Me Today
2/10/06


Receiving an email from yourself that you wrote a year ago is actually pretty powerful. I think that it shows that I'm frighteningly driven because all but one of those things happened, although I'm not pregnant anymore. The one that hasn't happened is that visit to Whymommy, and I have no excuse for that. I'm a lazy bad friend.

What I took away from it though was that on 2/10/2006, I finally knew what I wanted. I finally knew who I was and what to do with that information. If I had written to myself on 2/10/2005 and read it on 2/10/2006 it would have been incredibly shocking. I had no idea who I was and what would become of my life. But that is a story for another post. A special Valentine's Day post coming your way this week.

By the way, Me Today, you did a damn good job of making Future Me happy. Thanks.