Sunday, January 21, 2007

No autographs, please

I take a multi-day break from blogging now, and when I finally have a chance to sit down in front of the computer, all the thoughts come pouring out in multiple entries. Oh well.

This afternoon I had a gig with Dude. Being a morning news anchor and a top of the charts new age artist, we get some pretty cushy gigs. And most of our audience is over 60.

Don't knock this though. The over 60 crowd tends to have more money, more time, and more sweet things to say to you when you are done playing. Most of the time they serve cookies and coffee too. While you sign autographs. It's really quite fun.

Today, we traveled to Hamlet, NC. There is a community college there with an amazing auditorium. The sound crew was also amazing, which is such a relief. Our last gig was in a much more posh setting, and the sound crew wouldn't allow me to have the other instrumentalists in my monitor because they were filming for TV and they couldn't figure out how to give me monitor without it interfering with the taping. Let me explain why this is a problem. I'm not playing from written music. I don't know exactly what I'm going to play each time. I'm playing by ear, which means I have to be able to hear. It is of the utmost importance.

Anyway, today was one of those punch and cookie reception gigs. We loaded up and went to the banquet hall to smile and shake hands while Dude snapped pictures and sold CD's. The room was packed, as it was a sold out concert, but I swear to you there was not a soul under the age of 60 in the room. Most looked over 70. And they were so sweet. They talk to you like they are your grandparents being so proud of your performance. They want to hold your hand in theirs while they talk and tell you about how they loved the concert and thank us very much for coming. It is so very different from the late night smoky clubs I used to play. People listen and are so very nice.

So why then, was there a member of the Hamlet police force standing behind Dude the whole time - arms folded - brow furrowed?

Mob control?

CD theft?

Make sure the canes weren't used as weapons?

We just told all the nice older people that he was there to make sure Dude didn't trash another dressing room.

And the Colts are going to the Superbowl. We are happy about this. Because Guy says so.